Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Here's to your health!

My mother used to say, "If you don't have your health you don't have anything" or words to that effect.  The longer I live, the more I understand the truth and importance of those words.

I have been blessed (so far, anyway) with good health.  I'm old enough now to be on Medicare, but health-wise I would say that I am as fit and healthy now as I have ever been. OK, my blood pressure runs a little high and my thyroid gland needs some help but these are minor conditions which with proper treatment don't affect my over-all well being.  So I have a lot to be thankful for.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately for a couple of reasons.  A friend of mine just lost his brother, a man only 2 years older than me, to cancer, just as I lost my big sister a few years ago.  Both had just retired from their jobs and should have been able to enjoy long, satisfying retirements - but they didn't have their health.

A few days ago I had a reply to an email that I had sent to someone who I know only from an exchange of messages here and on another blog that we both visit.  She had not visited either place recently so I sent her a message to say that I missed her and I hoped all was well with her; this was her reply:

"Thanks for thinking of me.  I've been ill for over a month so haven't been doing much.  The cancer exploded into my brain like a dandelion going to seed (as my oncologist described it) causing dizziness, nausea and flu-like symptoms.  After a week of radiation I'm feeling somewhat better and starting to recover my previous health.  I'm still a survivor and stubborn to boot so hopefully I'll be getting back to normal.  It helps to have people like you thinking good thoughts.  Thanks."

I certainly wish her a speedy and full recovery and I will even ask my guardian angel to intercede on her behalf, just in case modern medicine needs a little outside assistance to return her to good health.  She's "...still a survivor and stubborn to boot..." so I think with a little help she can eradicate the dandelions (what a terrible analogy for an oncologist to use) and get on with her life.  I believe in the benefits of positive energy, so I will try to direct some to her and it might help if you sent some her way, too.

So here's to her health, your health and my health - because if you don't have your health, you don't have a damned thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment