Sunday, April 22, 2012

Living life in Margaritaville

I'm the same age as Jimmy Buffett - well, I'm one month and 3 days older, if you want to be precise - but that's pretty much where any similarity in our lives ends. But I still identify in a big way with his music; almost every song he has written makes me feel a sense of connection in some way. I suspect it's our shared kinship with the sea that draws me to his music and makes me feel that somehow his songs are about the things that are important to me. It's like his songs provide the soundtrack to the movie that is my life. And the theme song would have to be "Margaritaville". Take a listen so you'll know what I'm talking about:



Well it's not a literal description of my life, but as metaphors go it's a pretty good one. "Don't know the reason..." for lots of things, and there are lots of things about which I "...don't have a clue...". But most importantly, even though I would like to blame a woman, or maybe even more than one, I have known for a long time that whatever it is that brought me to my current situation (which is not all that bad, by the way), "It's my own damn fault".

So while I don't play the six-string and I'm more likely to grill a steak than boil some shrimp, I still feel pretty much like that guy lost in Margaritiville, except that I'm already back home (I never left) and it's bourbon that "helps me hang on" (but I do love a Margarita every now and then) so I don't have to look for the salt (which I'm supposed to avoid anyway). Maybe I should get a tattoo, though - I'll have to think about that. Maybe I should learn to play the guitar, too.  (Not to worry, I'll never do either one.)

Here's another difference between me and Jimmy Buffett: I have more hair left. Petty, I know, but it's all I got - I take my victories where I find them.

OK, now play the video again - it's the only reason I posted this piece but it makes it worthwhile, don't you think?

Bonus feature:  Here's another video of the song, including the "lost verse".  If this doesn't leave leave you smiling, well I probably wouldn't like you anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/PBOpYqBVL9E

No comments:

Post a Comment