Monday, April 23, 2012

God's Own Drunk

OK, you'll need 15 minutes of spare time and a glass of bourbon (or whatever) to fully appreciate this piece.  One of My favorite Jimmy Buffett songs is "God's Own Drunk" - I won't go into all the details but let's just say I know what the phrase "commode huggin' drunk" means.  And I knew that there had been some legal issues back in the '80s involving his rendition of the song but frankly I didn't pay much attention - I like the song, so I listen to it whenever I am in the mood.

But recently I stumbled on the original version of the song by Lord Buckley, and now I think I understand the controversy.  Here are both versions, with Jimmy's remake first:


And here's the original Lord Buckley rendition:

 


I think I see why his estate might have been upset. I'm not trying to reopen any controversies here, I just want to give credit where credit is due - Jimmy is a great song-writer, but this song is all Lord Buckley's (except maybe the cool guitar melody). 

So pour another drink, relax,  and listen to both versions again - for no reason other than they are both wonderful to listen to.


But don't you agree that it's a classic story and a really great song?

No comments:

Post a Comment